Hybrid bikes represent a popular category in this industry due to their numerous uses. Basically, you can use a hybrid bike to smoothly ride to work or school, but also on a slightly rough terrain. However, given the diversity of this market, chances are you’ll face a series of challenges in choosing the optimal bike. Most experts recommend going with the front runners – assess your needs, find a reliable manufacturer and analyze the best selling bikes. It sounds easy, but it’s still going to take a lot of time. Browsing through the best hybrid bikes under 500 should give you enough hints about what to expect from such a model.
Otherwise keep reading and make even more assured decision.
Top 5 Hybrid Bikes Under 500 Reviews
Vilano Diverse 3.0 Performance Hybrid Road Bike 24 Speed Shimano Disc Brakes
- Performance Hybrid road bike with components and 700c wheels
- Hydroformed Alloy Performance Hybrid Frame and Fork
- Disc Brakes for Great Stopping Power
- Upright Handlebar for Comfort
If you’re looking for performance, look no more. Vilano Diverse 3.0 Performance Hybrid Road Bike 24 Speed Shimano Disc Brakes is ideal for both newbies and experienced users. Even if you’re new to this, you’ll get more experience later on. You’ll crave for more performance, so it pays off starting with a good bike. The frame is made of hydroformed alloy. It’s not the heaviest unit in this range – 26 pounds only. But then, stability is quite important and you can’t achieve that with a lightweight bike, so it tends to be more of a long ride bike. The fork carries the same quality standards, only it’s made of 6061 aluminum.
Shimano is responsible for the front and rear derailleurs, as well as the shifter. It has an integrated brake lever too. Each wheel is fitted with a disc brake, so you get plenty of stopping power and control in all kinds of weather conditions. Since hybrid bikes often involve long rides, the handlebar is upright for extra comfort. The aerated construction of this bike leaves no room for uncomfortable situations. It’s simple and basic, yet it has the right features for both daily commuters and weekend riders.
It requires assembling, but it’s pretty straightforward. Tunning should be done by someone with experience though. Also, it comes in two different sizes, so choose the right one.
· Sturdy disc brakes
· Excellent for all kinds of terrains
· Lightweight construction
· Good value for money
· Shifts gears smoothly
- Handlebars cannot be raised without having to buy a stem raiser
- Cannot be tuned without any experience
Schwinn Discover Women’s Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels), White, 28″
- Women's comfort bike with aluminum city frame
- SR Suntour suspension fork; SR Suntour alloy crank
- 21 speed SRAM grip shifters; Shimano rear derailleur
- Promax alloy linear pull brakes; rear gear carrier
Schwinn leaves no room for interpretation when it comes to quality standards. It’s one of the oldest and most reliable bike manufacturers in the world. Therefore, you know you just can’t go wrong if you buy a Schwinn, as long as you make sure it covers your necessities. Schwinn Discover Women’s Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels), White, 28″ has been specifically designed for women. You can tell that by the low frame construction. It’s one of the most comfortable bikes out there in terms of design – not bulky, but perfectly aerated. It has an aluminum city frame that makes it extremely lightweight, yet sturdy. At the same time, the white paint is perfectly suitable for ladies.
In terms of features, you can count on the Schwinn suspension fork, as well as the Schwinn allow crank. You have a Shimano TX-31 rear derailleur to shift gears and 21 speed SRAM grip shifters. It’s more than enough, regardless of what you need the bike for – to commute to work or to discover new places on weekends. The bike response might surprise you at first, as it’s too strict. Basically, brakes are quite prompt. Other than that, the suspension fork maximizes the comfort. The handlebar is swept back to ensure an upright position. Plus, the stem is adjustable – a feature that might miss in other hybrid bikes.
- Adjustable stem
- Swept back handlebar
- Perfect control of the brakes
- Suspension form for extra comfort
- Aerated construction
- Must be tuned by a professional for a complete experience
- Weirdly shaped frame tubes make it hard to understand where and how to attach things
Raleigh Cadent 1 Urban Fitness Bike
- Perfect for rides around town, organized rides, the bike path, or commuting to work
- Sizing: s=5'3"-5'6", m=5'6"-5'9", l=5'9"-6', xl=6'-6'4"
- Lightweight and durable aluminum frame keeps you more upright to better see the road ahead of you without stressing your neck and lower back
- Shimano parts flow through the 21 gears making shifting a breeze no matter what terrain is ahead of you
If you’re looking for a hybrid bike that can actually boost both your smooth rides to work and your weekend rough experiences, look no more! Raleigh Cadent 1 Urban Fitness Bike is one of the best choices. Simply put, it’s extremely smooth and comfortable to ride to work or school. But at the same time, it makes a solid choice on rough terrains too. The manufacturer has found the perfect solution to mix its uses. The unit is available in two colors – tan and black. It also comes in three sizes. Generally speaking, it weighs around 26 pounds – the middle range for this segment. Unlike other bikes, the frame is a bit thicker, only to ease rougher experiences.
In terms of road riding, you have 21 gears to choose from. There are slight differences between them, but chances are you’ll go up and down with two or three gears at once if you truly want to feel the change. The shifters carry the Shimano Tourney technology standards. Changing gears is a piece of cake. The frame design and handlebars ensure an upright position. Handlebars are flat.
Unlike other hybrid bikes, this one makes a good choice on rough terrains too. Wheels are larger and can roll over bumps without too much discomfort. Besides, tires are wider than in most city bikes. Not only you get more traction on smooth roads, but you also gain stability on rough streets.
- Great for both smooth and rough terrains
- Looks and feels expensive for its price
- Larger and wider wheels for comfort, traction and stability
- Available in more sizes and colors
- Assembling it is easy
- Doesn’t have assembling instructions
- Requires adjustments before the first use
Schwinn Men’s Network 3.0 700C Wheel Men’s Hybrid Bicycle White, 18′ Frame size
- Schwinn aluminum Hybrid frame with Schwinn suspension fork
- Shimano 21 speed rear derailleur with Shimano EZ Fire shifters
- Alloy rims are lightweight and strong, front quick release
- Padded comfort style seat with suspension seat post
Looking for a good riding companion? Schwinn Men’s Network 3.0 700C Wheel Men’s Hybrid Bicycle White, 18′ Frame size is excellent for reliable everyday riding, as well as soft weekend rides with your friends. Whether you have to ride long distance or you choose a slightly rough terrain, this bike won’t leave your back hurting. It’s the perfect mixture of road and mountain bikes.
It has an aluminum frame that makes it lightweight, as well as a swept back handlebar for a relaxing upright position. The padded seat allows long rides without causing any discomfort.
On the other hand, it also has some of the features that you might expect to find in a mountain bike. The alloy rims are lightweight, yet strong and sturdy. You have a quick release option for the front wheel for easy storage and transportation. The suspension seat post ensures a smooth glide over rough terrains and makes bumps impossible to notice.
In other words, you have the speed of a traditional road bike and the sturdiness of a mountain bake. With these characteristics in mind, Schwinn’s model is certainly one of the top pick.
- Ideal for road trips and mountain riding
- Around 35 pounds in weight
- Comes with a rear rack and additional mounts for a water bottle
- Adjustable handlebar post
- 21 speeds
- The kickstand is not too sturdy
- Requires assembling and tuning
SixThreeZero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle, Matte Black
- Aluminum city frame 7-speed hybrid touring, urban commuting, and cruiser bike with matching full fenders, and 26" wheels
- Shimano 7-speed External Derailleur with front and rear handbrakes allows for wide range of riding from leisure to long distance commutes
- Black synthetic leather comfy saddle and grips with classic stitching; 2" semi-slick tires provide excellent roll, and a cushioned, stable ride
SixThreeZero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle, Matte Black. Unlike most expectations, it’s not a hybrid between road bikes and mountain bikes. Instead, it brings together the smoothness of road bikes and the comfortable position of cruising bikes. It’s ideal for leisure, commute and cruise rides. It has a 19” aluminum frame and weighs less than 36 pounds. It looks a bit unusual at first due to the low profile frame, but once you get used to it, its comfortable design will surprise you. It ensures an upright riding style and allows a comfortable position for the shoulders and back. The design is based on keeping feet forward for a smooth leg extension.
The design is not to be overlooked either. The black matte frame makes this bike look aggressive. The grips and dual spring saddle match the design, as well as the rear rack and fender.
Although it doesn’t come with dozens of speeds, SixThreeZero’s unit has the most common 7 speeds – more than enough. It allows both leisure and long distance commutes.
- Comfortable riding position
- Good looking design
- Smooth assembling
- 7 speeds
- Poor customer service
- Tuning must be done by a professional
In conclusion, Schwinn Men’s Network 3.0 700C Wheel Men’s Hybrid Bicycle White, 18′ Frame size is probably the most complete hybrid bike out there. It can easily outweigh the best hybrid bikes under 500 and even the ones from a more expensive segment. SixThreeZero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle, Matte Black is also handy if you’re not into mountain bikes, but cruise bikes. After all, your primary needs should dictate the final choice.