A mountain bike is definitely an investment and requires proper attention. Buying randomly will raise a series of issues in the long run, whether you’ll find disadvantages in the actual frame or the features. For this reason, you have to assess your necessities, then find the optimal bike to match them all, not to mention your available budget. Luckily, you do have options. Browsing through the mountain bikes under 500 might take time though, so stick to the front-runners. After all, you don’t want a mountain bike from some manufacturer that you have never heard of, do you? Now, what are the most popular options on the market?
Otherwise keep reading and make even more assured decision.
Top 5 Mountain Bikes Under 500 Reviews
2018 Gravity FSX 2.0 Dual Full Suspension
- Strong and Durable
- Easy to Use Shifters
- Adjustable Suspension - Front and Rear!
- Assembly Required
Mountain Bikes are actually meant for trekking and hardcore users who are extremely passionate about riding bikes. If you are on a strict budget and looking forward to buy a mountain bike under 500 then Gravity FSX 2.0 will be a perfect choice that you can’t afford to ignore. It features an extremely light weight aluminum frame, which is at the same time strong and durable.
It is available in various sizes starting from 15 inches to 21 inches, which is suitable for cyclist of height 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet. Its tubes are made with hydroformed technique, which ensures that you get a sturdy frame. This feature will enable greater performance on uneven roads and rocky mountains. The bike has been preinstalled with 26 x 2.1 inch tires, which are ideal for a mountain bike.
Gravity FSX 2.0 is also fitted with both front and rear Shimano derailleur and Shimano 24 speed shifter, which signifies its durability and endurance. All these awesome features make Gravity FSX 2.0 one of the best mountain bikes for beginners that are available in the markets.
- Tektro Novello Disc brakes for stopping easily
- Comfortable seating and saddle for long rides
- Double Wall Alloy Rim for greater performance even on toughest roads
- Easy to use shifters and quick release wheels for riding through tight corners
- Dual suspension, which is adjustable at the same time
- Not recommended for usage on regular roads without basic enhancements.
EUROBIKE Mountain Bike 21 Speed 3-Spoke 29 Inches
Another recommendation for the mountain bikes under 500 is the EUROBIKE Mountain Bike. It comprises of 29 inches Magnesium alloy wheels, which features 3 spokes for greater control on different types of roads. Dual Disc break for great stopping power and 21 speed Shimano Gears for reliable shifting enhances the bike completely. The handle is ergonomically designed and also features a comfortable cushion to provide the riders extreme comfort while riding the bike.
The frame size of EUROBIKE Mountain Bike is 19 inches and is suitable for riders of height 5 feet 8 inches to 6 feet 2 inches. The best feature of the bike is that it is 85% preassembled, so the buyer only has to fit the front wheel, handle bar, pedal, and seats, which will roughly take 20 minutes.
It is preloaded with great parts that include Shimano rear and front derailleur, Prowheel alloy crank, and MTB Pedal. These amazing features make EUROBIKE Mountain Bike an ideal choice for those who are wishing to buy the best entry level mountain bike.
- 29 inch 6061 aluminum frame for durability
- Aluminum stem and handle bar for sturdy performance
- Extremely light weight as it weighs 34 Lbs only
- Shimano EF-500 Shifters, which features 21 speed for easy gear shifting
- Not suitable for bikers who are of height less than 5 feet 6 inches.
Gravity 2018 Bullseye 27 Plus Bike
Gravity 2018 Bullseye 27 Plus is an entry level fat bike, which is certainly a great choice for those who are looking for the best mountain bikes under 500. The bike features super wide tires, which makes them the best companions for beaches, snow riding, muddy roads, and boggy roads.
It is pre-fitted with 27.5 x 3.25 VEE Rubber Trax Fatty 72TP Tires for flawless riding on even the roughest possible terrains. The bike is available in various sizes; for instance, its 14 inch size is ideal for cyclists of height 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 6 inches, while the 18 inch size bike is suitable for cyclists of height 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches. It features 24 speed Shimano Shifters for easy shifting of gears, which will make your rides more comfortable.
The bike even comprises of TEKTRO NOVELA disc brakes with 160mm rotor, which will give you great control over breaking system. Gravity 2018 Bullseye 27 Plus is an ideal option for cyclists who wants a little extra from their bike and also for explorers who wants their bikes to be their greatest companions.
- Rear and front Shimano derailleur for hassle free gear shifts
- Sturdy aluminum frame for long-term performance and durability
- Light weight as it weighs around 35 lbs
- Gives mediocre performance on regular road.
Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike, Black
Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike, Black is one of the most reviewed mountain bikes out there. Whether you’re new to mountain biking or you just want to boost your experience, it can make an excellent choice. This bike is all about having fun, but without sacrificing performance. It comes with a sturdy 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame – a popular choice these days. The structure is not just lightweight, but also strong due to the customized butted tubes.
You can choose the frame size as well. As for the wheels, they’re larger than normal – 26”. What does it mean? It can still roll over rough terrain and big holes. You have good traction power too, while the extra size adds to the feel and control. No matter how rough your ride is, the SR Suntour suspension fork will absorb shocks and ensure a smooth ride. As for its disc brakes, they carry the Tektro quality standards.
The bike is not fully assembled, but you can forget about the hassle of assembling it with no help. Diamondback has its own program – ReadyRide – to help you assemble the unit in no time. Tuning it will require a professional if you have no experience.
- Big wheels to make rough rides feel smooth
- Solid suspension to absorb shocks
- Easy to assemble due to the ReadyRide program
- Can choose the right size
- Tektro disc brakes
- The seat is not very comfortable
- The ReadyRide program doesn’t cover tuning the bike
2018 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes, Shimano Shifting, Aluminum Frame
- Disc Brakes Front and Rear, Strong and Durable Aluminum Frames
- Easy to Use Shimano Shifters
- Adjustable Suspension - Front and Rear!
- Strong and Light Double Wall Rims, Quick Release Wheels - Front and Rear
Browsing the best mountain bikes under 500 will inevitably put 2018 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes, Shimano Shifting, Aluminum Frame on the table as well. This is the classic mountain bike with no special features that no one will ever use, but just the basics taken to the next level. Available in five different colors and four sizes, the bike allows a proper customization. The frame is made of hydroformed aluminum. Despite its lightweight design, it’s sturdy. As for the 26” rims, they have double walls to support rough terrains. Larger wheels guarantee for a smoother ride. Overall, this bike barely weighs 35 pounds.
Unlike other mountain bikes in this range, Gravity’s model has an adjustable suspension – both front and rear. In other words, you can adjust it based on the type of terrain. Chances are you’ll use it on smooth roads as well. It also has two disc brakes, as well as quick release wheels. Whether you want to change a tire or store it in a space-efficient way, both wheels can be released in a snap. As for the shifters, you can count on Shimano’s quality standards. You have 24 speeds too.
Most bikes cannot be shipped assembled and this one makes no exception either. Assembling it is an intuitive job that might take up to an hour.
- Lightweight design
- Customizable in size and color
- Quick release wheels
- Adjustable suspension – both front and rear
- 24 speeds
- Tires are general and not specifically designed for mountain bikes
- Requires professional tuning after being assembled
Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire Bicycle
- Conquer any off road trail with ease with this steel framed mountain bike with supersized all terrain knobby tires
- A Shimano rear derailleur with seven speeds makes hills easier to climb, while twist Shifters make it smooth and easy to change gears while riding
- The threadless headset is adjustable for riders of different heights; For added speed and performance, the strong, lightweight alloy rims keep the weight down
- Ride comfortably with beach cruiser pedals and insure safety with front and rear disc brakes; Rear Hub: 26 inch
Looking for a good performing mountain bike that doesn’t look rugged? When checking the mountain bike reviews, you just can’t overlook Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire Bicycle. Mongoose’s unit belongs to a new trend of fat tire bikes. At a first glance, they look bulky and heavy, but also attractive. In terms of weight, this bike goes to 52 pounds. Sure, it’s more than other bikes in this segment, but after all, you don’t want to fly. It’s incredibly easy to control and offers a good stability on rough terrains. Its tires measure 4¼” in width. Therefore, it requires a proper set of rims too. They’re made of alloy and sturdy enough to support the weight. Both wheels have disc brakes for exact stopping when needed.
The frame is designed in the cruiser style. It fits the fat tires like a glove and ensures a comfortable ride. The best part about Mongoose’s bike is that you can ride it year round. Worried about the snow? No problem! Living close to the beach? Consider it done! It goes on any type of terrain with no difficulties. It has beach cruiser pedals and three piece cranks. Unlike other mountain bikes, it doesn’t have 20+ speeds, but just 7. After all, even if you have dozens of speeds, it’s not like you use all of them. You probably can’t even tell the difference between three adjacent speeds anyway. In other words, this bike is simple, efficient and good looking.
- Can be used year round, regardless of the terrain
- Beautiful design due to its fat tires
- Can support heavy people
- Not as heavy as it seems
- Cruiser design frame with lots of clearance
- The seat might need an upgrade if you’re large
- Might need regreasing before its first use
Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike with 27.5″ Wheels
Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike with 27.5″ Wheels is that quality mountain bike that you can purchase without saving for three months. It covers the most important features of a mountain bike and leaves no room for mistakes in terms of basics. The Overdrive unit is a classic among Diamondback’s mountain bikes. It has a 27.5” butted 6061-T6 aluminum frame and a coil spring fork able to travel 80mm – SR Suntour XCT 27. The Shiano 3×8 speed drivetrain offers a proper range of gears – ideal for mountain riding. The rougher the terrain is, the more diversity you need.
Worried about harsh terrains due to the brakes? Forget about it! The bike comes with Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes. They also have 160mm rotors – larger than normally. The stopping power is almost instant, so you can handle the bike without losing your confidence. Apart from the coil spring fork that absorbs shocks, the large wheels of this bike also guarantee for rolling over big holes. There is no fatigue involved in mountain riding, but just an exquisite control.
- Excellent coil spring fork to absorb shocks
- Plenty of gears for reliability
- Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes
- Good value for money
- ReadyRide program to assemble the bike
- Grips might feel rough on hands during long rides
- The seat is too hard on the rear end
Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike
- Aluminum frame is lightweight and durable
- SR Suntour suspension fork offers 120mm of travel to soak up bumps
- Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes for excellent stopping power
- Shimano Altus shifters offer 9 gears for simplicity and lower weight
Raleigh Bikes has never tried to impress with fancy features or bells and whistles that no one cares about. They only add to the price. The manufacturer has always gone with simple and basic bikes that deliver. Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike makes no exception either. At a first glance, it looks like a regular mountain bikes. Once you ride it, performance gains a new definition. The unit is lightweight enough for both rough and smooth rides due to the AL-6061 SL custom butted aluminum frame. It provides an exquisite trail geometry. The design is not bulky, but quite aerated.
The SR Suntour XCM suspension forks take comfort to a new dimension with the 120mm travel distance. It’s about 50% more of what other mountain bikes have. In other words, you’ll never feel bumps when riding on rough terrains. Braking is not an issue either. With Tektro hydraulic disc brakes, you have consistent stopping power whenever you have to turn.
Just like most other bikes out there, this one will need assembling – up to one hour, even for the least experienced users.
In conclusion, Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike truly understands the definition of a mountain bike – it takes basics to the optimal level of performance. But then, it depends what you look for. Chances are this bike will match your needs. If looks are more important than performance, Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire Bicycle comes with fat tires and yellow rims. Looking for some fancy features to match your experience? 2018 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes, Shimano Shifting, Aluminum Frame is great for its subtle bells and whistles that can push you a bit further.
Still over the budget? Feel free to read our best mountain bike under 300 article.